The idea for this blog, and my goal of raising $5,000 for the National MS Society, were conceived during a 20 mile training run for my first marathon. Here I will simultaneously chronicle my experience living with MS for the past decade and my marathon training progress.
Help me reach my goal!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Diagnosis Confirmed- Spring 2003

A Change of Plans

Following my frightening MRI results at Christmas, my body basically returned to normal for several months.  While I remained alert for the slightest changes in my body, as more time past I was able to relax and forget (at least a little bit) about the possible diagnosis that was looming over me.  I continued to work towards my degree in Elementary and Special Education at Geneseo, celebrated my 21st birthday in the traditional American fashion (making a complete fool of myself, I'm sure) and fell even more madly in love with my boyfriend, Steve.

While life had returned to normal, I now had a drive to accomplish something that may not be possible if I really did have MS.  I had been a runner since middle school, but the longest race I had run was a 10 miler (shortly before my first symptoms).  I knew I wouldn't be ready for a marathon, but when my mother signed up for one nearby I decided to try the half-marathon distance.

Anyone who has been to Geneseo, NY in the winter knows that the wind blows across the Genesee River Valley and up the hill, whipping students and townies alike with a blast of cold and snow.  Not the ideal conditions to begin training for my first half marathon.  To prepare I began running on the indoor track above the hockey rink.  You need to do a lot of laps around a 200 meter track for an 8 mile training run.  I stuck with it though and was getting into pretty good shape.

By this time, spring break was approaching and Steve and I had decided that we really wanted to hike a portion of the Appalachian Trail.  We excitedly read about the trail and weather, figuring out what areas would be passable that time of year.  I was so excited to initiate him into the world of backpacking, and to do my first trip without my family.

Then, several weeks before spring break, I began to go numb again.  This time it was my feet and legs.  It felt as though I was walking on stilts, and not at all well.  I couldn't walk straight and to get up the hill to class I required assistance from 2 friends, one on either side of me.  Stumbling around campus as though drunk, I joked that I was going to get a reputation as a lush.   My parents came down as soon as they could and brought me to the MS Clinic at Strong Memorial Hospital.

There was no question of diagnosis.  The doctors immediately began treating me with an IV infusion of prednisone, a steroid commonly used to treat MS symptoms.  For 3 days I returned to the hospital to get my hour long infusion and discuss my prognosis and long term treatment options.  At the time there were 3 possible medications.  All 3 were interferon drugs aimed at the immune system.  I chose the one that had the strongest effect in clinical trials.  I recall the doctor telling me that it reduced attacks and inflammation by about 30%, but only in about 30% of patients.  Not exactly a cure, but maybe, if I was lucky, I would be one of the 30%.

A nurse came to my dorm to teach me how to self-inject the medicine, which I would need to do 3 times a week.  She also taught me the trick of taking an ibuprophen with each injection to avoid feeling the flu-like symptoms that come with each injection.  Even after 10 years on the same medicine, I still forget the ibuprophen sometimes and wake up with a fever, shaking uncontrollably.

The IV of prednisone hastened my recovery, but it still took a while for my balance and coordination to return to normal.  I kept exercising, strapping my feet into the recumbent bikes in the gym, but I had lost too much to be able to run my half-marathon.  Our plans to hike the AT were scrapped after we realized that I couldn't manage scrambling over rocks and roots when I was still getting around campus with a cane.

With the help of family, Steve and I were able to enjoy spring break
Knowing how devastated I was about forgoing the race and the AT, my parents gave Steve and I plane tickets to Florida.  We spent our spring break visiting my grandparents.  Not exactly what we had planned, but in retrospect, I'm so glad we had that opportunity, as it was the only time Steve was able to meet my grandfather. 

As the semester ended and I began to prepare for my senior year, I was terrified that MS would prevent me from completing my student teaching.  What if my symptoms came back in the middle of a placement?  Still, I was determined that somehow it would work out.  After all, I had an incredible support network of family, friends and professors.




Click here to donate to the National MS society and help me reach my goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment